Details regarding MCAT 2014
-The registration for the Entrance test (ET) will most probably be starting in July '14 and the test will be held in August 30 '14.
Distribution of Seats:
Candidates would be competing for the total of 3305 seats, out of which:
- 2989 are open merit seats
- 19 seats for disabled students ( 2,2 each in KEMU, AIMC, NMC, FJMC, SIMS, PMC, RMC, QAMC and 1 seat in SMC )
- 1 seat for Cholistan in SZMC (Sheikh Zayed Medical College, RYK)
- A total of 49 seats for underdeveloped districts ( 18 seats in NMC, 10 seats in PMC, 6 seats in QAMC and 15 seats in SZMC)
- 7 seats for FATA (1,1 each in KEMU, AIMC, NMC, FJMC, PMC, RMC and QAMC)
- 26 seats for Azad Jammu & Kashmir ( 3 seats in NMC, 10 in FJMC, 2 in SIMS, 3 in PMC, 3 in RMC, 3 in QAMC and 2 seats in SZMC)
- 55 seats for Gilgit-Baltistan ( 8 in KEMU, 8 in AIMC, 1 in NMC, 4 in FJMC, 3 in SIMS, 2 in PMC, 9 in RMC, 18 in QAMC and 2 in SZMC)
- 72 seats for Foreign Students under Pakistan Technical Assistance Program- PTAP ( 5 in KEMU, 5 in AIMC, 10 in NMC, 21 in FJMC, 10 in PMC, 10 in RMC, 11 in QAMC)
- 62 seats for Foreign Students on Self-Finance Basis ( 4,4 seats each in KEMU, AIMC, NMC, FJMC, PMC, RMC and QAMC, 2 in SIMS, 2 in SZMC, 20 in SMC and 10 in NSMC)
- 5 Resiprocal seats (for candidates of other provinces): (4 seats for Baluchistan: 1 in AIMC, 2 in NMC and 1 in QAMC. and 1 seat of KPK in NMC)
- 20 goodwill seats for Baluchistan (2,2 seats each in KEMU, AIMC, NMC, FJMC and RMC, 5 in PMC and 5 in QAMC)
*FJMC, lahore (Fatima Jinnah Medical College is only for Female students)
- Applying For the ET is a standard procedure. You wait for the dates. You have to get the forms from the institutes that are mentioned in ads and on the website of UHS (I'll update as soon as I get to know) , fill them up and submit it back. Then they give you an ID card that you'd have to take to your test center. No online forms etc.
Tests to be taken by students of other Provinces:
- Students having domicile of FATA would've to appear in the ET held by the KPK government i.e. EATA.
- Those having domicile of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, they would take the ET held by Azad Jammu and Kashmir Government.
- Students of Baluchistan would've to take the ET of Baluchistan.
- Students having the domicile of Gilgit-Baltistan should appear in the ET held by Punjab government.
Under developed Districts include:
- D.G. Khan : 11 seats for MBBS ( 6 seats in NMC out of which 03 seats are for tribal areas, 4 seats in SZMC out of which 02 seats are for tribal areas), 2 for BDS ( 1 in DCD and 1 for tribal areas in NID)
- Muzzafargarh: 8 seats for MBBS (4 in NMC, 1 in QAMC, 3 in SZMC) and 2 seats for BDS (1 in DCD and 1 in NID)
- Rajjanpur: 7 seats for MBBS ( 04 in NMC out of which 02 seats are for tribal areas, 1 in QAMC and 2 seats in SZMC out of which 01 seat is for tribal areas) and 2 seats for BDS ( 1 in DCD and 1 for tribal areas in NID)
- Lodhran: 7 seats for MBBS (4 in NMC, 1 in QAMC and 2 in SZMC) 2 for BDS in DCD and NID.
- Bhakkar: 8 seats for MBBS ( 1 in QAMC, 5 in PMC and 1 in SZMC) 2 for BDS in NID and DCD.
- Layyah: Same as that for Bhakkar
- For reciprocal seats, students from other provinces on reciprocal basis will be selected by respective provincial government.
About the Test
-There is negative marking in the Etest held under the Punjab government. there are total 220 MCQ's. Each MCQ is of 5 marks. For every correct answers, you get 5 marks and for every wrong answer; 6 marks would be deducted from the total. eg. Supposedly if you get 2 mcqs right and 1 wrong, your total would be 9 out of 15 marks. 2 right= 5+5=10 marks and 1 incorrect answer: 5+1= -6 out of the total. there are no marks deducted for the unattempted questions.
- After the test, you calculate your aggregate percentage by the formula given on the website. After that you'll get all the instructions from the site. usually, the students with the aggregate percentage of above than 80% are asked to apply. and yes, the aggregate includes 40% FSc marks + 50% Entrance test's score + 10% Matric marks.
Some important Links:
- Topic wise detailed syllabus of MCAT is available here: Syllabus of MCAT
- Merit Lists of Previous years: Merit Lists
- Grouping of MCAT Vocab: MCAT Vocab
- Inspirational stories by repeaters who proved a man can achieve what he dreams for:
i) Road to MCAT
ii) Being an MCAT Repeater
- Confusion regarding MCAT 2014: MCAT 2014
For any other queries, please feel free to ask.